Orchids Hidden Treasures
In February, the orchid season starts and continues until April. The Alevkaya Forest is an important region for wild orchids like the Mount Carmel Orchid, Dull Orchid, and Ophrys Kotschyi, which are endemic to Cyprus. There are also many other species like the Green-Winged Orchid. At the end of the tour, you will be able to distinguish which orchids you are looking at.
Cypress and pine trees, along with strawberry trees and rockroses grow beside the path. This area has the best condition for orchid populations. The picnic will be in the garden of the Byzantine Monastery Antiphonitis, which dates back to the 12th century; there are also some remaining frescos of the 12th and 15th centuries. A highlight is the endemic Cyprus Bee Orchid in the monastery garden. Walking towards the village Esentepe, you will again view large orchid populations.
- Pick up from the hotel
- Opportunity to buy provisions for the picnic
- A guided walk through the forest lined with orchids; information about orchids during the walk.
- Lunchtime in the garden of the Antiphonitis Monastery
- Guided visit to the former Byzantine church with explanations about the wall paintings in Byzantine times
- Guided walk towards the village of Esentepe with more interesting orchids
- Travel back to the hotel by bus
Do not forget good walking shoes, a rucksack and rain protection gear.
Book for more than 20 people, contact us directly
We are happy to arrange pick ups and drop offs from any hotels or other accommodations in the Kyrenia (Girne) region including east Kyrenia (to Catalkoy) and west Kyrenia (to Lapta).